July 24, 2013

An Ode to the Mighty, the Humble... Watermelon.

I named my blog The Humble Watermelon, so I figured I should make at least one post on this lovely fruit. So today, I shall discuss about watermelon's history, tell you some interesting facts about it, and share three of my favourite watermelon pictures!

Ready to go on this Grand Watermelon Adventure? Yeah? Okay then, let's go!

Watermelon's Fruitful History:
Watermelon is thought to have originated in southern Africa, where you can find it growing in its wild state. There is evidence that it had been cultured in the Nile Valley, around the second millennium BC (2000-1001 B.C.). By the 10th century, watermelon had started being culture in China, and by the 13th century, Moorish invaders had introduced this fruit to Europe. Watermelon then moved on to North America, where they were grown by Native Americans in the 16th century. Today, China is the biggest watermelon producer, growing more than 69 million tonnes of watermelon in 2011!


What you Should Know About it: 
-Watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 91% water by weight.
-There are more than 1200 varieties of watermelon. They range in weight from less than one to more than 200 pounds; the flesh can be red, orange, yellow or white!
-Watermelon juice can be made into wine. 
-The rind of the watermelon can be stir-fried, stewed, and also pickled, which is very common in China and Southern US.

(All of this information, including the history, was provided by Wikipedia!)

This is just too adorable.

Suddenly, this tiger seems almost appetizing...
Out of all the watermelon shapes out there... this is by far the best. (And probably the creepiest)

Watermelon is such a great fruit. Actually, scratch that, it's an AWESOME fruit! You can eat it in the summer, and if you feel rebellious, eat it during winter too! It's sweet and also hydrating. And it's very humble. Who would've though behind those plain green stripes would lie a vivid, ruby flesh jam-packed with flavour! Well, that concludes it for this post, I'm off to eat some watermelon now! :)

4 comments:

  1. Lol, I actually haven't been having much luck with watermelons this summer. The most recent one my mom bought was pretty much just mush when we cut it open >_< But seeing the watermelons history (and those pictures... And yeah, that is a creepy watermelon) somehow made me regain my hope for them.

    I will end this dramatic comment right about.... now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I quite like your new-found dramatic style, Lottie! And eek, watermelon mush is just the worst. The watermelon we have now is super crisp and fresh, it's like a burst of water and sugar and everything right in the world, you know? XD

      Thanks for participating in the Grand Watermelon Adventure, Lottie! May you be blessed with delicious watermelon!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
    2. You know what's funny? Three days after this post, my mom brought back a watermelon that was absolutely perfect. Are you sure that you aren't a Diviner? ;)

      Delete
    3. Haha, wow that's great! And well, I can't say... All I can say is that the Watermelon God sure has striken over you. ;)

      -Grace :)

      Delete

Hi! If you are here, I'm assuming that you've just read my post. If yes, don't hesitate on leaving a quick comment, I truly do appreciate each and every single one of them!

-Grace :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...