March 15, 2013

Classical Piece of the Week: Greensleeves (the 20th Piece!)


Side note: 20TH PIECE!! YAY!! Ok, now on to the important stuff...

I'll admit it, I didn't even think about what this week's Classical Piece would be until pretty recently. But I had just thought of one of those tunes that stays tied with my mind, and decided to go with the piece that features it. It's called Greensleeves, and it was composed during the Renaissance Era, which thus explains why the original composer remains unknown.

Technically, Greensleeves is an English Folk song, but if you've followed my CPW since the beginning, you would know that I tend to like different versions of the piece/song. There is one belief that claims that this song was composed by Henry VIII for his lover and future wife Anne Boleyn. Such beliefs are vastly improbable, but it's always great to have different perspectives. If you would like to know more about the story of this song, click here.

Okay, well, I found two versions of this song that I really enjoyed, so here they are:

Piano version: Soft, unspoken, and oh so melancholic, this version will evoke in you a deep depth of nostalgia. The balance of the melody and the bass is extremely well controlled, and there is a delicacy to the music that makes it so frail yet so powerful.


Renaissance version: Ok, put on your mood change mask, because you will transported from the land of sorrow to the dance grounds of the Renaissance! This version manages to completely transform the melody of the piano version, yet it still stays true to its original theme. The array of instruments is absolute exquisite, and I swear you will feel your feet moving to the rhythm of the music. Although you could easily dance to this piece, it still has lying undertone of sweet sorrow that makes it sound absolutely spectacular.



I hope you gave both these versions a try, because it just goes to show you how one single piece of music can hold different personalities!

P.S. Although I've only featured instrumental versions, the song itself is just stunning. To listen, just click here (female) and here (male)!



7 comments:

  1. I know this song from somewhere... *thinks hard*
    Oh, yeah, Mad Father! I heard it when I played Mad Father! Such a beautiful piece and when it was placed in a game like Mad Father it became absolutely haunting O_O *realizes that she is rambling about a game on a post about music* Ahem.
    Beautiful choice, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Lotie! And haha, continue on with your rambling, it's fun to read!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  2. I know this song too! My sister played it before one time. I remember. It's a lovely piece yet if I was in a sleepy mood and not in a hyped up mood right now, I would get a little drowsy. XD But that isn't bad! That just means it's so lovely it makes me relax so much I nap. XD And I'm glad you shared it with us. Both versions are gorgeous, I love how one seems more modern while the other more older-esque. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, exactly! And I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

      Hope(?) you're feeling a little less hyper now XD

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  3. You have an incredible blog, just gave it a follow. I'd love it if you could check my blog out. Happy Blogging :D


    http://asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sunny! Your blog is really lovely, and I just gave it a follow :)

      -Grace :)

      Delete

Hi! If you are here, I'm assuming that you've just read my post. If yes, don't hesitate on leaving a quick comment, I truly do appreciate each and every single one of them!

-Grace :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...