March 31, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, a book review

Author: Stephen Chbosky
Pages: 213
Year Published: 1999
Rating: A hearty 4/ 5 stars
Goodreads / Amazon / Trailer   
The problem was nobody was there to play Rocky, the muscular robot (I'm not quite sure what he is). After looking around at everybody, Mary Elizabeth turned to me.
"Charlie, how many times have you seeen the show?"
"Ten."
"Do you think you can play Rocky?"
"I'm not cut and hunky."
"It doesn't matter. Can you play him?"
                                                                            "I guess."
                                                                            "Do you guess or do you know?"
                                                                            "I guess."                                  
                                                                            "Good enough."                                                        

Charlie (sighing)

Charlie (chuckling softly)


Charlie.

Sometimes, it's that book that's all weird and unstructured and messy that draws you in. And this is one of them.

Charlie is a freshman. He is also very socially awkward, but very aware of what surrounds him. Or more like unaware that he is aware. He notices the little details that people leave out, and he perceives the silent emotions emitting from a person's soul.


In this book, Charlie writes letters to an undisclosed person. In his letters, he writes about his new found friends, his new experiences, but most of all, he writes about himself, but in such a subtle and unconscious way that leaves so much to the reader's imagination. I felt like I could connect with Charlie on so many levels. His searching for life's meaning, his voice, his way. And when I couldn't connect with him, I tried to understand him, I tried to make sense of what he was trying to make sense of too. And it worked, because this book worked.

Charlie's voice is blatantly honest, and it even resonates through the supporting characters. Sam and Patrick, Charlie's two new friends, possess a lot of character and will. I think they made Charlie more strong as a person, while not consuming or controlling him. And Charlie's relationship with his family is just so real and unfiltered that I feel like I could peer through my bedroom window, and look into another person's house and imagine it was Charlie in there.

Look, I won't lie. I bought this book but I wanted to hate it. I wanted it to hate it because everybody loved it and it didn't even seem that special. But it was. It is. It's special because it makes you realize things you didn't realize before. It makes you think, and frown, and it kind of silences you. Because you just don't want to miss a single moment of what this book gives you.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is simply a book. And more. Just like Charlie is simply a person. And more. And you are simply a reader, a human. But once you read this book, you will be more.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goshh I envy your review writing style! You just summed up everything I thought of this book in words, whereas I just summed it up in complete gibberish teehee! :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you so much Ruby! Believe me though, I have a looot of giberish moments too!!

      Glad you enjoyed the review, and thank you for commenting!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great review Grace! One of my favorites I've read of yours. I agree, this book was amazing! You analyze Charlie perfectly, I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Annie! Your comment means a lot to me!

      Thank you for reading the review, and for commenting!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  3. Great Review, I especially love your closing sentence. But I actually think this is the most well written review based on this book I have read :) I really want to read this, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks a lot Sunny! I'm so happy you liked my review!

      Thanks a ton for the comment!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  4. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed it! But why no 5 stars? I guess maybe there was all that mature content or those uncomfortable parts? In any case, I'm glad this book has convinced you otherwise that it's not as horrible as you might think. C: It truly is, very special.

    It has been forever since I've read a review from you here and you come back with a BANG! XD <3333 LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this review. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW.... Just read your comment on my post and...

      HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, GRACE!!! HOPE IT WAS AMAZIN'!

      Delete
    2. Reply to your first comment: Thank you so much Delaney! And I guess the reason why I didn't give it a five stars was that I really enjoyed it, the writing was brilliant, but it just didn't strike me as a book I could think of as like 5 star/favorite. Ok, so that didn't really make sense, but I hope you can make a little sense from it...?

      Reply to your second comment: THANKS DELANEY! And yes it was amazing cause I got to go to the mall and COSTCO to pick up a birthday cake! XD

      Delete
  5. This review is Beautiful, Grace! I am so glad that you loved this book :) It's been a long time since I have seen a review of your's this made me smile when I saw it in my email ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're too sweet Lottie! And yeah, it's been a while, hasn't it?

      Thank you for reading the review, and commenting!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  6. Even though I wasn't a fan of this one I still appreciate your beautifully-written review of it! Love that parallel structure in your closing paragraph. Keep it up and I hope you enjoy your next read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Thomas! And wow, I learned a new term! Parallel structure. That sounds so cool!

      Thank you very much for reading my review and commenting!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Been thinking of reading this and Now i will gve it a go :)

    I am Following you! Please Follow Back to! I am new and want support from fellow bloggers :)

    http://redraoalice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you write is really incredible, I could read your reviews for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so, so much Rebecca! Your comment really made my day ^^

      -Grace :)

      Delete

Hi! If you are here, I'm assuming that you've just read my post. If yes, don't hesitate on leaving a quick comment, I truly do appreciate each and every single one of them!

-Grace :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...